Thursday 7 August 2014

Learning to Run: Week Two


Week Two hasn't been an easy one, there have been some challenges and low points,  but I have stuck with it and completed another three runs. Following the C25k running trainer app, this week each of the runs was made up of 5 minutes warmup at the start, 5 minutes cooldown at the end and then alternated 90 seconds running and 2 minutes walking. Although it was only a 30second addition to each run I really felt it and had to force my legs to keep moving.

A big difficulty this week was the change in the weather with last weeks sunshine being replaced with heavy rain and winds. Being a newbie to running outside, I learnt that running in the rain is hard and not very pleasant. I wore a waterproof jacket and the wind had some fun blowing down my hood. Despite this we completed all 3 runs outside.

On top of the weather I also had a bit of a cold which was effecting my sinuses and breathing. Rain and sore throat don't make a successful runner and I could really feel the impact on my run. By the end of the second day I was starting to feel frustrated that I wasn't getting faster and my stamina wasn't building, but I think running is something that needs to be worked at and I'm starting to realise that even slight changes can effect my performance.

As a treat for the third run we left the city and had a countryside run past railway tracks, a natural sandy beach and some sheep fields. This was really enjoyable and the 30minutes passed very quickly. I think it can be motivating to run somewhere new and have fresh sights to occupy your mind, instead of the pain in your legs. Altogether, this week has been challenging but I feel I am making slow progress and am just as motivated to start week 3!

Week Two:
  • Lowlight- Running in the rain with a cold *sniffles*
  • Highlight- Wearing running shorts outside for the first time and not feeling self conscious!

No comments:

Post a Comment