Sunday 17 August 2014

Preparing for an Interview


Interviews scare me, so to feel more relaxed and comfortable with the situation I try to prepare as best I can. Like with exams, interviews are a high pressure situation and putting in some preparation time can really make a difference to how you feel on the day (well, I know I'll always be a bit of a nervous wreck but I try my best). I thought I would write down some of the things I do when I am preparing for an interview and hope they are even just a little bit helpful.
  • Know the Job
Doing some research in to what the job you are applying for involves and the company it is with is a good place to start when preparing for an interview. Each company has its own quirks and ethos and if you can show an awareness of this in an interview I think it is a great start. Employers want you to fit in with the rest of the organisation and by showing you have an understanding of their beliefs it is easier to illustrate that you could fit in to the team. Also, having an idea about what the job involves can help you think of some of the skills and knowledge needed to carry out the role.
  •  Study the Job Profile/Person Specification
After investigating the job and company I turn to the person specification to get a better understanding of the skills needed for the role. I have been told that interviewers will grade your answers against these requirements so all questions will be based on the person specification. Obviously, every company is different and we've all heard about the infamous personality based questions (What would you do for breakfast if... What would you do if you had a time machine... If you were an animal...) but if the job you are applying for provides a person specification it can be a good basis for your preparation.
  • Pretend you are the Interviewer
From the person specification I create example interview questions. For example if a specification is that you have a particular qualification or course I would create a practice question asking "Tell me about a qualification you have that is relevant to this post?" I go through each point in the person spec and create possible questions from these. "Tell me a time" or "Give an example when" are very popular interview questions so I also take some time to think about some past experiences which show various skills that are asked for. For this it can be helpful to think of times that you have worked as part of a team, supported someone with a problem, dealt with a difficult situation and organised an event. Every interview is different but by thinking of particular examples that show generic skills such as team work and working to deadlines these can be tailored in an interview to highlight transferable skills.
  • Ask your own Questions
At the end most interviewers will ask if you have any questions. I always try to prepare some questions in advance as after answering their questions I would be too relieved/ exhausted to think up some on the spot. Asking the interviewer questions also highlights that you are interested in the job and wanting to learn more about the post that you might get. General questions that I consider are if training is provided and when will I hear back, but studying the company and post can be really helpful to thinking up more original and personal questions to the particular role. 
  • Be Prepared
Even if you are the sort of person who can "wing it" and think up questions and examples on the spot I would recommend knowing the exact details of the interview beforehand. Read the email or letter inviting you to the interview and note what format the interview will take and if you are required to bring any information. Some posts may ask you to bring a passport, driving license, qualification or disclosure details, among other things. Also, check the format of the interview; some are just made up of questions and answers but for others there may be a scenario or a practical test such as for admin. It may be obvious but remember to check the time and location of the interview. I once had an interview at a location I had never been and was trusting Google maps which had recorded the location completely wrong. You don't want to turn up to an interview sweaty, or even worse, late! I also like to sort out my outfit in advance. Being confident in the things you have control over, such as what shoes you want to wear or what time to leave, can really help make you feel more prepared and relaxed on the day.
  • Relax
I admit, this is the hardest step for me.  There are few things I dislike more than interviews and I find them very unnatural, but when you take a step back you realise that you are just talking to some people that you may never see again- they aren't better than you. If you find it difficult to relax I'd recommend the Bach Rescue Remedy Spray. I haven't tried any other anti-anxiety pharmacy options but have found Bach useful. Also, having some mints can help. I normally listen to music on my way to the interview to distract me and also give me some confidence (I may pretend I'm a rock star and too cool for interviews, nevermind working...) Most people recognise that you will be nervous at the interview and it can be a sign that you actually care about the role you are going for!
  • Afterwards
Apart from being incredibly relieved I try to take some quick notes after my interview on the questions that were asked and what I talked about. This can be really helpful if you get a second interview and for any others in the future. Interviews take practice and with time you do improve. Also, its important to be proud of yourself. Even if you don't get the job, it is an achievement to get the interview and to go through with it! Give yourself a treat and a night to just relax and enjoy yourself.

I have just done an interview this week and know it all seems so much easier in reflection, but I hope these ideas are helpful and I wish you good luck! If you have any interview preparation tips I would love to hear them.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment