Wednesday 30 July 2014

Learning to Run: Week One


I have always liked the idea of being a good runner; long countryside runs with just music and my thoughts and the sights around me, but unfortunately running is something that I have always struggled with (been completely incapable of). So when my boyfriend found a new app that tempted with the promise of learning to run 5k from complete beginner (couch) I thought I would give it a go!


The app is called C25k, and is completely free. The programme lasts 8 weeks and requires you to do 3 runs a week of 30minutes, with each week building and developing your endurance and skill. This week we done 2 runs outside and 1 on the treadmill at the gym. Each session in week one is made up of 5 minutes walking at the start and end and alternating 1.5minutes walking with 1 minute running, which totals 8 minutes running.


With regular walking breaks this sounds like a gentle start but I'll admit, by the end of the first session I looked like a tomato, my legs ached and I had to take some time to get my breath back. But, I had done it all without stopping and felt a sense of pride! The next session was also difficult but I already felt like I was making progress and I wasn't as exhausted this time. And by day 3 I felt I was almost ready to start building up the running times! I think with a lot of running apps each session progresses so quick that it is hard to keep up but I like that with C25k you get a week with each programme to really develop your endurance.


It is really important with this app to keep going and properly run for each of the minutes for it to be effective. Luckily, I have someone to run with to help force me on when it gets hard. But I also think making a playlist of energetic and encouraging songs can really help. You can listen to the app while your music plays and the app will tell you when to start running or walking.


To encourage us to stick to the running regime we enthusiastically made a timetable for the next 8 weeks and after each run we score the date off the sheet. So far it is helping and I am enjoying the runs! But I know I have a long way to go...

Week One:
  • Lowlight- feeling self conscious as I walk home with a bright red face.
  • Highlight- completing the 3 sessions and feeling like I'm progressing.
 Do you run or would you like to? Do you have any tips for a new runner?

No comments:

Post a Comment