Wednesday 27 August 2014

Five Films that made me a Film Student

Ok, the title may be a little deceiving; 5 films do not a film student make! However, I thought I would reflect on 5 movies that made me fall in love with cinema and set me on the path to studying the artform at university.




The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Peter Jackson, 2001, 2002, 2003)


For a long time I was ashamed to tell people The Lord of the Rings is my favourite film (picking just one is like choosing your favourite child) but as I have become more of an adult and less of a teenager I have been more confident in embracing the things that make me happy. And wow, does LOTR make me happy. My dad read the books to my sister and I when we were kids and just as we were finishing Fellowship of the Ring the film was anounced! We were so excited. It became a family event going to the cinema each December for the next installment. Consequently the films had a massive emotional impact on me and are so entangled with childhood and adolescent memories. Even now, I cry at each film and feel so physically moved by them. It was after seeing the Fellowship of the Ring and studying books and DVD extras on Weta Workshop and the immersive filming process that I set my mind on studying film.

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)

Wim Wenders melancholic masterpiece tells the story of an angel who falls in love with an acrobat, while hovering over Berlin. Shot predominately in monochrome the films lingering, considered and distanced feel reflects the lives of the angels who are eternally watching the city, but never engaging with it. It is a beautiful and thoughtful film and one that hasn't left me since I first watched it at 15. It tells of the individual pains every human feels while also exploring the shared pleasures of love, beauty and music. As a teenager I was entranced by this film and still today it has the power to make me think and step back from my current life to consider a bigger picture (in a non religious way). 


A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971)

At 16 I studied Anthony Burgess's A Clockwork Orange novel. It was the first time I got to choose my own book to study and I became engrossed in the world of Alex and his droogs. Despite this, my dad wouldn't allow me to watch the film, and I had to sneakily watch it at night. It was notoriously hard to find the film in the UK for 27 years and highlights the influence film can have on society. A Clockwork Orange is simultaneously delightful and disturbing, Kubrick's use of colour and style is hard to rival and the story is powerful while shocking. I think it is this blend of controversy and art that has had such an impact on me. At university I became increasingly interested in the relationship between film and controversy and its power to shape and reflect our society. A Clockwork Orange reflected our society and continues to do so.

Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly, 2001)


Donnie Darko is a mix between an outsider teen drama and a science fiction film, yet it is more than that. As a teenager my friends and I would watch this film on repeat and bat about our theories on Frank (Donnie's imagined 6ft rabbit friend who can predict the future) and Grandma Death, while the soundtrack still reminds me of being 16. I don't want to give too much away because it is a joy to watch for the first time (and the tenth). The first film we actually watched at University was Donnie Darko and it instantly made me feel I had chosen the right course.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)

Eternal Sunshine tells of a woman and man who, after a break up, erase each other from their minds... but then they meet again and fragments of memories start to tell of the love they previously shared. Directed by Michel Gondry the film is beautifully unfolded through colour and hand made effects. When choosing what university to study at I was torn between academic film study and practical film at an art school. This film tugged at my desire to study the art of film and despite finally deciding upon academics, every time I watch this I wish I knew how to create images that could show internal emotions.

It was hard for me to narrow this list down and I'm sure that there were many films that subconsciously impacted me, not to mention the people who really influenced my decision. But its interesting to consider in reflection, the lasting impact a 2 hour film (or 9 hour for LOTR...) can make. Has a film ever changed your path in life? I'd love to hear about it if so!







No comments:

Post a Comment