Tuesday 15 July 2014

Reading on an iPad Mini




Getting a Kindle wasn't something I had given that much thought to. I put this down to 2 reasons: ownership of something physical and eyestrain. I love physically having a book, being able to add it to a book shelf, use old tickets as bookmarks and feel a sense of ownership. I also thought that reading books electronically would cause eye strain and as I already look at a computer at least 8 hours a day for work I was wary about spending my free time looking at more screens. But this year something changed. I decided that reading a book electronically might not be all that bad. I have watched my mum slowly trying to cut down on her collection because it was taking over every wall and I've felt the arm ache of trying to move a collection to a new flat. So, after a lot of consideration, I thought that perhaps reading off pixels might not be so bad; it'd certainly save space and be easier than carrying a hardback on holiday. After considering a Kindle and a Nook and a few other e-readers I decided to do something different and merge my desire for a portable laptop with an e-reading device and picked the iPad mini.

I admit, for the first few months of having my iPad I couldn't bring myself to read a book off of it but having just finished one book on the iBooks app and two on the Kindle app I decided now would be a good time to share my thoughts on this different form of reading.

My first hurdle was that pixels is not paper! It just looks different and for me that took some time (around 2 chapters) to adjust to. I know Kindle screens are adapted to appear more matte which I can imagine is good for your eyes, especially over long reading sessions but after a play about with the settings on both the Kindle and iBooks apps I found you could change the brightness and background to a level that suits you. I went with a sepia background as I found it easier on my eyes. Another good point with these apps is that you can change font size and that the light from the device means its easier to have late night reading sessions.

Along with font and brightness there were a few other settings on these apps that I really found helpful. Firstly the simple bookmark in the corner. Yes, it's old school but it works. No panicking that my bookmark fell out in my bag with this! Secondly, both apps had a guide at the bottom of each page to show how far in to the book you were, both in page number and percentage. I found this really handy and I started to set targets for myself such as "read 5% before bed tonight". Again, a simple idea but I found it really motivated me and encouraged me to read more. I definitely think this contributed to me reading both books much faster than I normally would.

Another perk to the Kindle app is that you can also download it to your phone. I never thought I would enjoy reading off such a small screen but I quickly got engrossed and was surprised how many pages I actually managed to read during downtime at work and on bus journeys. When I got home my iPad instantly recognised that I had read the extra pages and synced to the right spot.

I think if reading is all you want to do on your device and brightness/ glare is something you are really concerned about I would look in to other devices that are more specifically developed for reading. But if you're looking for a device that you can read from but also use for other purposes then I would recommend the iPad Mini. It is light and very portable, easy to lie in bed with for hours and has a number of apps. I also found that buying ebooks is a lot cheaper than physical copies, with a lot of classics that you can get for free. However, I would recommend checking your book choice on a few apps before purchasing because I found a considerable price difference between the apps. Also, I haven't felt any eyestrain with the iPad and have just downloaded my 3rd read. I think I may be a convert!

Do you use your iPad for reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment