Monday 24 November 2014

Balmore Cottage and Dunalastair Estate

Recently my mum and I went away for a long weekend to relax, do some walks, climb a hill and relax in front of the fire. Our destination was Balmore Cottage on the Dunalastair Estate near Aberfeldy and Pitlochry. I had never been to this area of Scotland before but after seeing images of the cute cottages and nearby forests and hills I was convinced.

We were given a map of the estate and a guide to getting to the cottage prior to arrival which made it simple to find where to go. Thankfully, we arrived just before the sun set so no need for my mum to drive in the dark on that night! The cottage was beautiful. Being two traditional stone cottages joined together, it was far bigger than I had expected. We had parking off the road and a nice sized garden which looked over the fields, hills and brooks. There was also a log hut and outdoor dining set which I imagine being lovely for evening meals in the Summertime. Inside the cottage there was a utility/ toilet as we entered the back door, a good sized kitchen, 2 bedrooms (one with en-suite, the other had a four-poster bed), bathroom and a welcoming living/ dining room with a wood burning stove. The cottage had everything we needed; towels, shampoos, hairdryer, utensils, internet... In the morning I looked out my window to see sheep in the field opposite and from the kitchen window we spotted Schiehallion shrouded in morning mist.

I am so impressed with the cottage and could have easily stayed there a week (or for ever...). I got a good sleep despite a pheasant waking me in the early hours of the morning and the bedrooms were really warm and cosy. The livingroom has a storage heater which I am generally not a fan of but because there is a wood burning stove I had no need to complain. Altogether I really loved the cottage and would happily go back for future trips. Oh, and did I mention it has a window seat?

The cottage is part of the Dunalastair Estate which my mum and I spent some time exploring. From the cottage we walked along the road, then to the left and at the corner we entered a rough track towards Dunalastair Water. We passed some sheep munching on turnips who were surprisingly friendly and posed for our pictures! We continued on the track to find an old stone building that looked like it had been destroyed by fire. The exterior of the building still looks fresh with the clear coat of arms at the entrance and the shutters still intact. From the windows we could look in and see the fallen wooden floors and overgrown weeds. Its a creepy yet enchanting sight and reminded me of Jane Eyre.
As we continued to wander round the grounds of the estate the gothic theme continued as we stumbled on an old burial site, the gate to which was chained and locked. This point offers a stunning view over Dunalastair Water and the surrounding mountains. It also felt like quite a secluded spot and a view that only a few will see. While looking round this area we also found a stone Celtic Cross which was mounted on the top of a grassy hill. It's exciting to explore an area and find such large ruins left by the people who once lived there.
I feel there is a lot more to the estate than we managed to find in our brief stay and I'm sure every season will bring with it new views and scenic spots. I'd highly recommend a stay on the estate and hope I'll return in the future. Did I mention that one of the holiday houses is an actual castle? I may have my eye on that one...
For more information on the estate and the cottages you can visit their website here.

1 comment: