Tuesday 2 December 2014

Alasdair Gray Exhibition

Living in Glasgow it is easy to find the work of Scottish artist and writer Alasdair Gray dotted around the city, but it is the current exhibition From the Personal to the Universal at Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery that really shows Gray's artistic range. As a fan of Gray's literature and artwork for a number of years I loved this exhibition and was very close to purchasing one of his limited edition prints (I may have to start a kickstarter for £600). Today I thought I'd share a couple of snaps from the exhibition, some of the postcards that I picked up and some images from Gray's autobiography A Life in Pictures to give you an idea of Gray's style and range if you are not familiar. The exhibition at Kelvingrove Art Gallery is running until 22nd February 2015 and I think I might take a second trip. If you're not from the city or nearby I highly suggest A Life in Pictures which is available here. I got this as a Christmas present and I love it; so much inspiration and a bit of a look at a very talented and interesting man's life. If you're interested in discovering more there is a leaflet handed out at the exhibition that pinpoints a number of Gray's murals around the city, some of my favourites being the ceiling in Oran Mor and the image of the West End at Hillhead subway station.

Have you been to the exhibition or read any of Gray's novels?

1 comment: