Tuesday 17 June 2014

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

With the film adaptation of Gillian Flynn's novel Gone Girl being released in October I thought now would be a good time to share my thoughts on the 2012 book and whether to read before viewing.



The book takes the form of 3 parts with each chapter alternating between the viewpoint of spouses Nick and Amy. The novel starts with the sudden disappearance of Amy with most eyes fixed on Nick as prime suspect. Each chapter flits between the present unfolding mystery of Amy's disappearance and the couple's happy history together. As the novel progresses tension between both narrators builds leaving the reader in the middle of a complicated and twisted marriage. In using this form I found it easier to empathise with both sides of the relationship and become engrossed in the tale.

By alternating between the central characters the narrative also pushes you forward, leaving you always wanting to read more. It was actually my mum who let me borrow the book so every couple of nights I would be chatting with her with all my guesses and puzzles. She thankfully didn't spoil it for me! I can see why she wanted to share it with me, it is the type of book you want to talk about and ponder over like a serial HBO drama. So much so that there are discussion questions at the end of the book to be considered for reading groups. Even 6 months after reading I think about Amy every so often and go over some plot points... No spoilers here!

At its heart Gone Girl is a thriller, a who-done-it, a what will happen next. But I think a large part of its individuality and appeal is that it is a balanced book between a husband and wife. Flynn gives both characters equal space and time to tell their stories and in doing so creates a believable, three dimensional marriage, which I believe appeals to women who perhaps had previously overlooked the thriller genre. In my view this form of storytelling also encourages us to question our own stereotypical views of gender expectations by subverting the cliches of gender politics and abuse.

It is hard to tell how the future film will impact on people's perceptions of the novel (I personally hope the film will have a feel of A History of Violence to it) but I would recommend reading it before the film releases to enjoy the twists and joy of guessing uninterrupted. Perhaps you could also encourage your mum to read it...

No comments:

Post a Comment